Pence Hails Passage Of Amendment Eliminating Federal Funding for Planned Parenthood: “Victory for Taxpayers and a Victory for Life”
Preview: “This afternoon’s vote is a victory for taxpayers and a victory for life. By banning federal funding to Planned Parenthood, Congress has taken a stand for millions of Americans who believe their tax dollars should not be used to subsidize the largest abortion provider in America.
I commend my colleagues in both parties for taking a stand for taxpayers and a stand for life. I encourage my colleagues in the Senate to support this legislation and end federal funding of Planned Parenthood once and for all.”
PUBLIC LAW 91-572-DEC. 24, 1970 (Title X)”PROHIBITION OF ABORTION
“SEC. 1008. None of the funds appropriated under this title shall beused in programs where abortion is a method of family planning.”
Approved December 24, 1970.
- Signed into law by Richard Nixon 1970 as Title X of the Public Health Service Act
- “Designed to provide access to contraceptive services, supplies and information to all who want and need them.”
- At least 90 percent of the appropriation is used for clinical family planning services as described in the statute and regulations (45 CFR Part 59).
- “88 Title X grantees provided family planning services to approximately five million women and men through a network of more than 4,500 community-based clinics that include (…) faith-based organizations.”
- “In addition to contraceptive services and related counseling, Title X-supported clinics provide a number of related preventive health services such as: patient education and counseling; breast and pelvic examinations; breast and cervical cancer screening according to nationally recognized standards of care; sexually transmitted disease (STD) and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) prevention education, counseling, testing and referral; and pregnancy diagnosis and counseling.”
- “By law, Title X funds may not be used in programs where abortion is a method of family planning.”
- The Title X family planning program is intended to assist individuals in determining the number and spacing of their children. This promotes positive birth outcomes and healthy families. The education, counseling, and medical services available in Title X-funded clinic settings assist couples in achieving these goals.”
House votes to block all funding from Planned Parenthood
Preview: “By law, federal funds haven’t paid for abortions since the 1970s, so the House hasn’t voted to cut abortion funding. They’re cutting funding for the entire Title X program — funding for contraception, cancer screening, STI tests, sex education, mammograms, HIV testing and diagnosis, and pregnancy screening and counseling. Title X is the only federal program dedicated solely to providing individuals with comprehensive family planning and preventive health services, particularly low-income families. Last year, 5 million people benefited from the services funded by Title X.”