Update from “Curing” gay people? There’s an app for that.
A message from Change.org:
“Amazing! After more than 150,000 petition signatures from Change.org members and saturation media coverage, news outlets worldwide are reporting that Apple has pulled an iPhone application launched by Exodus International that claimed to help “cure” gay and lesbian people.
This is a huge, public victory against the dangerous myth that gay young people can and should be “turned straight” — a falsehood that contributes to the plague of depression and suicide afflicting these kids and young adults. Our friends at Truth Wins Out, the organization that started the petition on Change.org, are absolutely thrilled.
Apple did the right thing because an incredible 151,125 Change.org members — including you — stood together to demand it. We spread the word on Facebook more than 55,000 times. And together we attracted the attention of media around the globe, including CNN, MSNBC, Fox, ABC, CBS, and hundreds of newspapers and blogs.
It’s simply amazing. Thank you for making this victory possible.
– Eden and the Change.org team”
- Apple Removes Ex-Gay Content from App Store (TIME)
- Apple Boots ‘Gay Cure’ App. A Pyrrhic Victory for Gay Rights? (Forbes (blog))
- Apple’s Gay App Pulled (National Journal)
- Apple Pulls ‘Anti-Gay’ App After Pressure (ABC News)
- Apple pulls anti-gay app after online petition receives 146,000 signatures (appolicious)
- Apple Pulls Controversial ‘Gay Cure’ App (Huffington Post)
- Real time news results